CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gift Wrapped

I'm sorry I don't have a photo of my recipe today, but there are camera issues that I am working to resolve. Anyway, I thought I would post a favorite recipe to serve as an entree to use with those crockpot beans.
The translation of envuelto is gift-wrapped. I grew up eating envueltos at a local Tex-Mex cafe in my little hometown. They are like enchiladas, but lighter and spicier. The sauce drips off into the refried beans and is incredible! When we lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, the restuarants there didn't serve envueltos. I learned to make ranchero sauce (or my version of it) and our love of homemade envueltos began. They are like a little gift. The following recipe is my new, low-fat, WW-friendly version. Feel free to sub shredded chicken for the ground beef.

Envueltos
makes 16

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (I leave this out...we don't "do" cooked bell pepper)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2-3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
8 oz. tomato sauce ( I use no-salt-added)
1 can regular or mild Ro-tel chopped tomatoes and green chilies
Water
**optional...if you want this spicier add a diced jalepeno to the sauteed vegetables
16 corn tortillas
2 lb. ground sirloin (or your choice of ground beef)
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
Shredded cheddar cheese (I use veggie cheese for Weight Watchers)

In a large skillet, heat the oil, add the onion and pepper and cook until transluscent. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the tomatoes and cook until soft. Stir in the tomato sauce and Ro-tel. Use water to wash out the cans and pour that into the skillet. Bring to a high simmer, then turn down to a very low simmer.
In another skillet, brown the ground beef and season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drain off any grease if needed.
Wrap 8 corn tortillas in a clean dishtowel and microwave on high about 2 minutes. These will be very hot and soft. Place 2-3 tablespoons of ground beef in each tortilla and roll up enchilada-style. Place seam side down in a well-greased baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour tomato sauce mixture over rolled tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
**Because the tortillas are steamed instead of fried, they do fall apart a little more than usual. They still taste great and the fat/calorie difference is too much to care!
Enjoy~

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
GREAT recipe! We had this last night (the italian salad dressing mix version)! Dh and the kids declared it a keeper!!! THANKS!!!