CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 1, 2008

Crumby Chicken - Five Ways!

Crumby Chicken


Many years back, I tried a recipe from a community cookbook from The Daddy's hometown of Friona, Texas. It was a low-fat "fried" chicken and it became an immediate family favorite. Over the years I've played with the recipe and here are the versions I use now. It is on our family's table at least once a month in some form. The Daddy's favorite is the lemon pepper, but the kids like the Ranch Dressing one. I have served it to those big teen-age kids when I cooked for mission trips and they called it "magic chicken" because it always disappeared.

Crumby Chicken

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 egg whites
3 Tbsp. water
3/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (I have used both freshly grated from my own block and the green can stuff with great results, but the kind in the chees section in a bag doesn't work here)


Choice of Seasonings:**pick one option

1) 1 packet of dry Italian dressing mix
2) 1 pack dry ranch dressing mix
3) 1tsp lemon pepper and 1 tsp dried parsley
4) 2 tbsp. any flavor dry soup mix (like onion or vegetable)
5) Sub sesame crackers for the breadcrumbs, add 2 tsp. soy sauce and 1 tsp. dried ginger to the egg white mixture.
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole dish. In a pie plate, beat egg whites and water with a fork until frothy. In another plate mix bread crumbs, cheese and seasoning. Dip each piece of chicken in egg whites, than coat well with crumb mixture. Place in a baking dish, drizzle with melted butter and bake 35 minutes or until just done.


I usually do Homemade RiceARoni as a side dish, unless it is the Asian option, then I do fried rice. The kids like Fried Apples with this dish, too. A green vegtable or salad rounds out the meal. The chicken stays so moist because of the egg white and the flavor is great.
Whatever version, it is comfort food and healthy!
Be blessed~

1 comments:

Mack said...

Amanda - I doubt you would remember me but I used to post on the AOL boards and would follow your posts. We had fish tonight and I thought of you because I couldn't find your recipe for oven fish - I hope that makes sense! It was good though - even though I sort of made it up. I remember when you didn't have Wade and Juliana was your baby - muchosninosmama - or something like that was your signature. I remembered that I had seen that you had a blog one of the last time I looked. I'm glad to find it. Hope you'll consider trying to publish again. Many Thanks, Ruthanne (in Seattle)

I am also a believer and I remember that also about your posts - they were so kind and full of love and respect to those you were answering. All the best to your family in 2009. Are you still moving/building a new home?