CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

Three Sugar Poundcake

Sorry to not have any entries for so very long. If you check in now and then or just come here when I mention it on FB or LDD, then you know I've been lax. It is obvious from the date on my last post that I've not been cooking anything exciting or not taking a picture of it for quite some time. It was laundry. I just couldn't get caught up. Now it's all better.

My mom was visiting a couple of weeks ago while I was sick. Bless her heart, I think feeding these bottomless pits I call my children just might have done her in. The first day I came home from the hospital, she had baked a poundcake. Honestly, I think I had forgotten how delicious they are and how easy they are to put together...no offense, Mom. I know you worked hard those two weeks! Anyway, as I began feeling better, I was poking around in my pantry and noticed I had a lot of brown sugar and some bits of dark brown sugar, too. I'm sure I bought it for a recipe and it had been sitting in there for awhile. So, like most folks I know, I googled recipes with brown sugar and promptly found a few that looked good but not exactly what I wanted. I combined/refined a few and this is what I got. It was really good and I jokingly called it Magic Poundcake because it disappeared quickly. I hope you enjoy it.

Three Sugar Pound Cake
This makes a dense cake with a delicious slightly sticky crust. Perfect for topping with berries!

1 cup dark brown sugar**
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 sticks butter, at room temperature
5 eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract, really
1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Move rack to middle of oven. Grease and flour a 10-cup bundt or tube pan.
Mix 3 types of sugar and butter with a mixer for 6 minutes on low speed. The mixture should be very light and fluffy with no visible sugar lumps. (This was a critical step and my KA made it easier.) Add eggs, beating well after each one. Scrape down the bowl, beat another minute and add vanilla. Add buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately, ending with buttermilk. Beat just until incorporated. It is important NOT to over beat the flour or it will get tough. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 60 to 75 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out with just a bit of crumb. Cake will be brown on the outside but not burned-looking.
Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out on rack to cool. Try not to eat it hot...well, no...eat it hot...it's good! :0) Tastes even better the next day, if it lasts.

** If you don't have dark brown sugar, just use 2 cups light brown sugar and add a tablespoon of molasses to the cake.


Blessings,

0 comments: